Kotor is a beautiful coastal town located in Montenegro that boasts a rich history, stunning architecture, and breathtaking natural scenery. Here are some of the must-see sights and activities in Kotor:
- Kotor Old Town: This UNESCO World Heritage site is a medieval walled city that is filled with narrow streets, beautiful architecture, and historic buildings. Wander through the old town and explore its many churches, palaces, and museums.
- St. Tryphon Cathedral: This stunning Romanesque church dates back to the 12th century and is dedicated to St. Tryphon, the patron saint of Kotor. Be sure to admire the beautiful frescoes and mosaics inside.
- Kotor City Walls: The city walls that surround Kotor are some of the best-preserved fortifications in the Mediterranean. Hike to the top for panoramic views of the town and the Bay of Kotor.
- Our Lady of the Rocks: Take a boat tour to this tiny island in the middle of the bay, where you’ll find a stunning church that is said to have been built on the site where sailors found an icon of the Virgin Mary.
- Lovcen National Park: Just a short drive from Kotor, this national park offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and the Adriatic Sea. Be sure to visit the Mausoleum of Njegos, which is perched atop the highest peak in the park.
- Bay of Kotor: Take a boat tour of the bay and admire the stunning scenery and quaint fishing villages that dot the coastline.
- Maritime Museum: Learn about Kotor’s seafaring history at this fascinating museum, which is housed in a beautiful Baroque palace.
- Montenegrin Cuisine: Sample the local cuisine, which includes fresh seafood, grilled meats, and traditional Balkan dishes like cevapi and burek.
These are just a few of the many things to see and do in Kotor. Whether you’re interested in history, architecture, nature, or food, this charming town has something to offer everyone.
Kotor is often chosen not only for tourist visits, but also for weddings and photoshoots in Montenegro. Weddings are also often held in Kotor. In the summer of 2022, we filmed a Greek-Bosnian wedding. The wedding ceremony took place in one of the Orthodox churches in the old town of Kotor.